Monday, Oct 20, 2014
Quincy, IL News - QuincyJournal.com
Trending on the Journal

Related Headlines

Quincy Public Library workers vote to strike

Tensions run high at presidential library board meeting

Quincy Public Library celebrates 125 years of community service

GOP: Don't use tax dollars for Obama library

Rep. Schock announces “Big Read” grant award for 18th District library

Recent Comments

Loverofblues - REBEL MEDIA: So I have a sign in my yard - Quincy, IL News - QuincyJournal.com
35 years and your health care is covered by Tri Care
1950Brutus - Strawman: I Trusted The President...... - Quincy, IL News - QuincyJournal.com
The race card gets pulled out when the liberals don't have any logical arguments left in their bag. They are saying "I can't win this debate with facts so I will assault your character". It is an attempt to win by intimidation. Very sad.
qcity05 - REBEL MEDIA: So I have a sign in my yard - Quincy, IL News - QuincyJournal.com
It was specifically stated at the public forum at St. Peter's that the project would not exceed $89 million. They even mentioned that if the architects were to come to them later and say it would, they would have to rework the plan.
hinkdad - REBEL MEDIA: So I have a sign in my yard - Quincy, IL News - QuincyJournal.com
I wish I could just hit a big lotto jackpot and pay for it out of my own darn pocket. I am not saying that our school rankings are necessarily all because of the facilities, but the environments do affect overall performance. One of the most important factors in community growth is schools. This is largely because it is one of the first things that parents look at before moving to an area. Our schools…
WarCry - REBEL MEDIA: So I have a sign in my yard - Quincy, IL News - QuincyJournal.com
Didn't Hannibal just put in a new school or two? I can't find the story on planned vs. spent, but I don't hear a lot of hollering about cost overruns, etc. I just remember the story with the open house to show off their new, state-of-art facility.

Most Popular

Authorities make meth bust on Madison

Chief Copley on Fox News

City of Quincy considering health clinic for employees

Nursing unions call for better Ebola preparedness

Adams Co. Divorces for 10/17

School Board to outline plans for savings, old buildings if referendum passes

Quincy Park District tumbling program provides children intro to gymnastics

Tournear Promoted to JWCC Nursing Admin Chair

Hannibal Library read from the start

9 months, 2 weeks ago from Hannibal Library

Based on the conviction that parents are a child's first and most important teachers

Hannibal Free Public Library is delighted to host a program for our parents that has been praised across the state - READ from the START. Presented by the Missouri Humanities Council, READ from the START is based on the conviction that parents are a child's first and most important teachers, and that the love of books and stories begins very early in a child's life.

The energetic and interactive two-session program explores seven great children's books and many reading techniques that parents can use to engage their young children. The parent-only evening uncovers the wonderful world of books and stories through reading, singing, acting, games, crafts and more.  At the conclusion of READ from the START, parents take home the seven titles they have explored during the program for free.

The program will be held on the library's 3rd floor on Monday, January 27th, and Monday, February 3rd, at 6:00 p.m. Light refreshments will be served.

Childcare will be provided in the Children's Room on the 1st floor.  Space is limited; please call the library at 573-221-0222 to register.  Hannibal Free Public Library is located at 200 South 5th Street in Hannibal.

Organizations across Missouri have called READ from the START innovative, valuable and transformational.

"The families were totally engaged in the RFTS program.  I heard families speak about how much they had learned.  They were very excited about RFTS."
~Early Head Start, Sedalia

"The facilitator's presentation was EXCELLENT!  Teens were genuinely interested in the educational and entertaining aspects of this program."
~Truman Medical Center Start Right Teen Program, Kansas City

"This was a great experience for the teens.  It was a joy for me to watch the interaction of the teens with the facilitator.  It appeared that they were learning a lot on how to read to their babies.  They were also very excited to get the books.  Obviously they would never be able to afford such a library on their own at this point in their lives."

~ Parents as Teachers/Manual Career & Technical Center

"Parents love the interactivity, especially being read to by someone."

~Ferguson-Florissant Parents as Teachers, Ferguson

"Parents love the laughter and animation of the presenter, and like to share their own experiences."

- Rosebud Head Start, Rosebud

For more information, contact the library's Assistant Director Claire Ewersmann at (573)-221-0222, email cewersmann@hannibal.lib.mo.us, or Julie Douglas at the Missouri Humanities council at 800.357,0909 or Julie@mohumanities.org.

From the Newsroom

nichols120 on Twitter

nichols120 41 minutes ago

RT @natashakorecki: Smell of urine and weed in the air outside of tonight's gubernatorial debate. Oh Chicago. http://t.co/mYwo4Qnmq0
QuincyJournal on Twitter

QuincyJournal 4 hours, 38 minutes ago

Strawman: The Pinocchio President...... http://t.co/OERnKwReuL
Bob Gough on Twitter

Bob Gough 7 hours, 25 minutes ago

RT @MarkReardonKMOX: There were 16 murders in St. Louis during the month of Sept. But we're told the "epidemic" is police killing blacks?? …
QuincyJournal on Twitter