Tuesday, Apr 15, 2014
Quincy, IL News - QuincyJournal.com
Trending on the Journal

Recent Comments

UrKidsWillPay - City department heads justify budgets to aldermen - Quincy, IL News - QuincyJournal.com
There ya go!
Righty1 - City department heads justify budgets to aldermen - Quincy, IL News - QuincyJournal.com
How about "City department heads review their proposed budgets with aldermen who never have to justify their own budgets."
UrKidsWillPay - Voter rights, crime victim rights amendments set for fall ballot so far - Quincy, IL News - QuincyJo
The common sense solution would be to require finger prints on ballots which would be scanned and compared to all other finger prints affixed to other ballots. Any duplicate prints would invalidate both votes and subject the person to investigation/prosecution for vote fraud. Until votes are validated there would only be provisional winners.
City Department Heads Present Budgets to Alderman.
ReardenShrugged - Petroleum Marketers, C-Stores, fight proposed Illinois gas tax hikes - Quincy, IL News - QuincyJourn
All business ownership is public record. Just search the Secretary of State business listings.

Most Popular

Park Board to put new Wavering Aquatic Center question on the ballot

Man arrested following south side stabbing

Adams Co. Jail to take in federal prisoners

Klingner wins Bonansinga Award

Petroleum Marketers, C-Stores, fight proposed Illinois gas tax hikes Updated Video

Preppers get ready for budget reality by begging for more

Home Builders, Illinois House look to weaken Fire Marshal authority

Poll shows Illinois voters overwhelmingly favor term limits

Editorials & Opinion

Strawman: Celebrating Mandela

4 months ago by Strawman

Nelson Mandela passed away last week at the age of 95.  Celebrated as one of the great men of the century—a man who was unjustly imprisoned— Mandela, according to those on the left, and some of those confused liberal “wannabe’s “on the right--was a man for all ages.  Someone we could all look up to-a man of greatness.  Unfortunately in this case, greatness is in the eye of the beholder.

My how revisionist history takes its toll.  Given the current liberal slant the children of the United State are being subjected to, I can only imagine that Mandela, over the past few days, has been compared Washington, Jefferson and Lincoln.  Our children have probably been told that Mandela hit more home runs than Barry Bonds and cured cancer while lying on his death bed.

But the truth be known Mandela was nothing more than a thug. According to David Horowitz, who was born to communist parents, Mandela was not a good guy.

Mandela began as a terrorist and never turned his back on monsters like Arafat and Castro, whom he considered brothers in arms. When he was released from prison by deKlerk, he showed unexpected statesmanship, counseling reconciliation rather than revenge, no small achievement in a country in which the “liberation” movement (led by Mandela’s wife and party) placed oil filled inner tubes around the necks of former comrades and set them on fire.

And similar comments abound. 

According to NBC News and The Huffington Post the U.S. Government had Mandela on a list as well. 

Until five years ago, however, the U.S. officially considered Mandela a terrorist. During the Cold War, both the State and Defense departments dubbed Mandela’s political party, the African National Congress, a terrorist group, and Mandela’s name remained on the U.S. terrorism watch list till 2008.

And we’re supposed to get all moist over this guy?  Well, one thing is for sure, the White House couldn’t get a group on a plane fast enough.  True, the Obama’s haven’t had a vacation for a few weeks, so it stands to reason that Air Force 1 thru 4 would have the wheels up and be heading to South Africa.  Same for the Clintons, Jimmy Carter and the Bush family.  Seems like the right thing to do. 

But help me understand why Congressman Aaron Schock of Illinois led a group to pay respects to Mandela.

“I have always had great respect for former president Mandela. The personal sacrifices he made in order to achieve what was right for the people of South Africa is something I carry with me every day. I am humbled to be leading so many of my colleagues in tribute to Nelson Mandela,” Schock said in a statement.

Wow!  Hey Congressman, read much?  Will you be taking a group to Cuba when Castro kicks the bucket?  Did you make it to the Hugo Chavez wake or were you previously booked at the McClean County Fair?  And you and your entourage paid your own way, right?

And what the hell is Ted Cruz thinking?  Yes, it’s reported he had a seat on the “Shocking Our Way to South Africa” tour—the only Senator making the trip.  Ted, couldn’t you have sat this one out?

Oh well, what is one to expect?  We celebrate the thugs of the world and chastise job creators, Christians and taxpaying family men.  That’s the way we do it in this country.

I’m just glad we didn’t snub the English when Margaret Thatcher passed away.   Tongue in cheek here folks…..tongue in cheek.

From the Newsroom

QuincyJournal on Twitter

QuincyJournal 2 hours, 18 minutes ago

QU offering two new Masters programs for education - This program will be offered in a blended format both online ... http://t.co/ItZUaJWE7c
Bob Gough on Twitter

Bob Gough 3 hours, 4 minutes ago

@mthopf @DOB23 This came up at last month's curriculum meeting. I thought it was a joke...School Board will kill this. #maybe
QuincyJournal on Twitter

QuincyJournal 3 hours, 19 minutes ago

Culver-Stockton students recognized at state competition for student newspaper http://t.co/f2rgSVdQ81
QuincyJournal on Twitter

QuincyJournal 13 hours, 23 minutes ago

City department heads justify budgets to aldermen - City Council listens in budget hearings; Spending plan must be... http://t.co/5d6SzyBjEm