Noreen S. Ahmed-Ullah and John Byrne, Tribune Reporters
Thursday, Nov 27, 2014
Quincy, IL News - QuincyJournal.com
Trending on the Journal

Recent Comments

ONCEMORE1 - Quincy Police Blotter for November 27, 2014 - Quincy, IL News - QuincyJournal.com
Amen to that! What's that up above, he/she/it put in a comment so foul even he/she/it hadda delete it??? This kinda crap belongs on Facebook or Yahoo comment sites, not on here where most people make a little sense, at least.
GuyFawkes10 - Quincy Police Blotter for November 27, 2014 - Quincy, IL News - QuincyJournal.com
Look up manifest destiny and then come back and tell us where and when it started. your posts show your ignorance
Bad_Dog - Quincy City Council votes to sell defaulting loans - Quincy, IL News - QuincyJournal.com
https://www.sba.gov/blogs/llcs-explained-101-smal... Small Business Administration has a few typos too.
http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-Businesses-&a... KUlaw - please let the IRS know there is a mistake on their website.
migraine_in_qcy - Quincy Police Blotter for November 27, 2014 - Quincy, IL News - QuincyJournal.com
Cue the guys in the white coats, CardinalQuincy (now LightsOut-whatever) needs an involuntary hold for evaluation.

Most Popular

Man arrested for financial exploitation of the elderly

Entrup files to run for Alderman on Quincy City Council Updated

Quincy man wounded while deer hunting

Quincy Regional Airport makes another late season push for 10,000 departures Video

Quincy City Council votes to sell defaulting loans

Quincy Public Schools involved in an ongoing investigation

Quincy School Board to discuss building project with out-of-town contractor

Kinder asks if Obama Ordered National Guard to Stand Down in Ferguson Video

New Chicago high school to be named for Obama

7 months ago Noreen S. Ahmed-Ullah and John Byrne, Tribune Reporters

300 additional freshmen seats

From Noreen S. Ahmed-Ullah and John Byrne, Tribune Reporters:

Chicago students vying for hard-to-get spots in the city's most competitive public high schools will get a new selective enrollment high school named after President Barack Obama.

For parents frustrated with a gut-wrenching process that some have compared to getting their child into an Ivy League school, 300 additional freshmen seats come as welcome news.

“A lot of parents in the city will be happy to know there's more school seats in a central location,” said Rebecca Labowitz, who runs the “cpsobsessed” blog, frequently filled with comments from parents about the district's selective enrollment admissions process.

Her son, a 5th grader, will be a freshman the year Barack Obama College Preparatory High School is scheduled to open in the fall of 2017. Located just north of Skinner North Classical School, near the former Cabrini-Green public housing complex, the school will pick about 70 percent of its students from throughout the city through the competitive selective enrollment process, and the remaining from the neighborhood.

For Mayor Rahm Emanuel, the announcement, coupled with an earlier University of Chicago study released Thursday showing more freshmen are on track to graduate high school, was an opportunity to celebrate a new course for Chicago Public Schools.

“For the first time in the city of Chicago, I get to say that (U.S. Education) Secretary (William) Bennett, who in 1987 said the city of Chicago is the worst public school system in America, you're wrong. Dead wrong,” Emanuel said.

The freshmen-on-track graduation rate has gone up from 57 percent in 2007 to 82 percent, according to the University of Chicago study, which was touted by Emanuel's office today.

Mayoral critics noted the $60 million high school was announced a day after CPS voted to turn over management of three failing schools in impoverished neighborhoods on the city's West and South Sides to a private organization. They contend that instead of investing more resources in top-tier schools that serve a small number of students, the money should be used to help neighborhood schools across the city, many of which saw severe budget cuts this school year.

Some also wondered why Obama College Prep was not being built on the South Side in the president's Kenwood neighborhood or in the community where First Lady Michelle Obama grew up, rather than among well-to-do North Siders. The mayor last fall announced a $17 million addition for another top tier school, Walter Payton College Prep, located nearby.

“He's clearly trying to satisfy a certain demographic by putting in another selective enrollment school right near another one,” said Wendy Katten with parent group Raise Your Hand. “This is only going to impact a small percentage of students. It's not going to address a citywide need for strong neighborhood high schools.”

Click Here to Read Full Article

From the Newsroom

Bob Gough on Twitter

Bob Gough 4 hours, 39 minutes ago

RT @S.M: Governor Nixon took 3 phone calls from Valerie Jarrett last night and this morning but wouldn't answer Ferguson mayor's phone calls.
Bob Gough on Twitter

Bob Gough 11 hours, 32 minutes ago

RT @James Gunn: Finally caught up with House of Cards. Damn. Amazing show. How do they have me rooting for this piece of shit?
Bob Gough on Twitter

Bob Gough 1 day, 2 hours ago

RT @John Sexton: Yesterday, Ezra Klein insinuated Wilson was lying. Vox's top story. Thousands spread it. Later Klein acknowledged he was wrong. Oops!
Bob Gough on Twitter

Bob Gough 1 day, 3 hours ago

RT @Ben Shapiro: So a black man robs a store, tries to grab a cop's gun, charges the cop, and gets shot -- and our lesson is that America is racist.