Noreen S. Ahmed-Ullah and John Byrne, Tribune Reporters
Friday, Oct 31, 2014
Quincy, IL News - QuincyJournal.com
Trending on the Journal

Recent Comments

WarCry - Baldwin School evacuated following smoke in building - Quincy, IL News - QuincyJournal.com
Aside from completely missing that Bob was joking, you're making the same fallacious argument I've already seen. Yes, a home may be older than the schools. But a 120 year old home MIGHT have a few hundred people go through it over the course of that lifespan. They also have owners that don't have to go to their neighbors and say "please, sir, may I have some more" in order to effect…
1950Brutus - Votes for Republicans switched to Democrats in Moline - Quincy, IL News - QuincyJournal.com
Why haven't we heard complaints from Democratic voters about votes being switched to Republicans. Because "There is nothing wrong in this office," Kinney, a Democrat, said afterward. Calibration errors are the new "hanging chads".
QuincyJournal - Baldwin School evacuated following smoke in building - Quincy, IL News - QuincyJournal.com
From Joel Murphy, QPS Business Manager: The issue this morning was a simple overheating of some electrical components with in a heating unit. The components overheated, then melted causing smoke from the unit. Things were exasperated by the fact that the heater's blower was still operating and pushed the smoke out into the hallways. The staff and students did exactly what they have prepared…
1950Brutus - Amazon to open facility in Illinois, hire 1,000 - Quincy, IL News - QuincyJournal.com
The point still stands that you do not know if he paid the tax and just doesn't know it.
ONCEMORE1 - Baldwin School evacuated following smoke in building - Quincy, IL News - QuincyJournal.com
Smokin' in the Boy's Room?

Most Popular

Adams Co. Divorces for 10/24

Motorcyclist dies from Saturday crash

Mid-America Port Authority pledged $1.3 million from Illinois Video

Man arrested for performing lewd acts near school

Quinn, Durbin to drop in Monday for Port Authority announcement

GREDF supports Quincy School Building Referendum Video

Everyone safe following plane crash near Quincy Regional Airport

Amazon to open facility in Illinois, hire 1,000

New Chicago high school to be named for Obama

6 months ago Noreen S. Ahmed-Ullah and John Byrne, Tribune Reporters

300 additional freshmen seats

From Noreen S. Ahmed-Ullah and John Byrne, Tribune Reporters:

Chicago students vying for hard-to-get spots in the city's most competitive public high schools will get a new selective enrollment high school named after President Barack Obama.

For parents frustrated with a gut-wrenching process that some have compared to getting their child into an Ivy League school, 300 additional freshmen seats come as welcome news.

“A lot of parents in the city will be happy to know there's more school seats in a central location,” said Rebecca Labowitz, who runs the “cpsobsessed” blog, frequently filled with comments from parents about the district's selective enrollment admissions process.

Her son, a 5th grader, will be a freshman the year Barack Obama College Preparatory High School is scheduled to open in the fall of 2017. Located just north of Skinner North Classical School, near the former Cabrini-Green public housing complex, the school will pick about 70 percent of its students from throughout the city through the competitive selective enrollment process, and the remaining from the neighborhood.

For Mayor Rahm Emanuel, the announcement, coupled with an earlier University of Chicago study released Thursday showing more freshmen are on track to graduate high school, was an opportunity to celebrate a new course for Chicago Public Schools.

“For the first time in the city of Chicago, I get to say that (U.S. Education) Secretary (William) Bennett, who in 1987 said the city of Chicago is the worst public school system in America, you're wrong. Dead wrong,” Emanuel said.

The freshmen-on-track graduation rate has gone up from 57 percent in 2007 to 82 percent, according to the University of Chicago study, which was touted by Emanuel's office today.

Mayoral critics noted the $60 million high school was announced a day after CPS voted to turn over management of three failing schools in impoverished neighborhoods on the city's West and South Sides to a private organization. They contend that instead of investing more resources in top-tier schools that serve a small number of students, the money should be used to help neighborhood schools across the city, many of which saw severe budget cuts this school year.

Some also wondered why Obama College Prep was not being built on the South Side in the president's Kenwood neighborhood or in the community where First Lady Michelle Obama grew up, rather than among well-to-do North Siders. The mayor last fall announced a $17 million addition for another top tier school, Walter Payton College Prep, located nearby.

“He's clearly trying to satisfy a certain demographic by putting in another selective enrollment school right near another one,” said Wendy Katten with parent group Raise Your Hand. “This is only going to impact a small percentage of students. It's not going to address a citywide need for strong neighborhood high schools.”

Click Here to Read Full Article

From the Newsroom

Bob Gough on Twitter

Bob Gough 33 minutes ago

RT @Phil LeBeau: Exposure like this has pushed value of #ChevyGuy to $3.84 Million. RT @KeithOlbermann: At 5:.. Chevy cashes in on "technology and stuff."
Bob Gough on Twitter

Bob Gough 6 hours, 2 minutes ago

RT @ILWDRadio: Pro-tip. When your boss is under fed investigation, don't ask "Is it a crime?" @ILWDRadio http://t.co/YlSa3Jzf52 #twill
Bob Gough on Twitter

Bob Gough 6 hours, 11 minutes ago

RT @Jason McIntyre: Video! What does Michael Jordan think of President @BarackObama's golf game? "Hack. Shitty golfer." http://t.co/0u3I8UETBf
Bob Gough on Twitter

Bob Gough 6 hours, 18 minutes ago

@JPosnanski @WhitlockJason You don't know that at all.