VIDEO: Firefighters respond to 4-alarm fire at O'Shea's Bar & Grill
3 months, 1 week ago
Bar and grill at 4th and Ceder engulfed by fire
Quincy Firefighters battled a four-alarm fire Friday night at O’Shea’s Bar & Grill on 339 Cedar.
Firefighters responded to reports of fire in the ceiling at 9:41 p.m.
When crews arrived, everyone had already been evacuated safely from the building.
Fire Chief Joe Henning said as crews arrived, firefighters spread throughout the building and found fire in the ceiling of the vacant upstairs apartment.
“Once the fire reached the roof, the fire was upgraded to a fourth alarm so firefighters that were on their 2nd air tank could be replaced and refreshed,” said Henning.
At this time, Henning said there’s no report as to what may have caused the blaze, but since the building was occupied, it’s anybody’s guess what could have been going on.
Stan Whelan has co-owned O'Shea's since January 27, 2011 and said the fire is "just devastating."
"We completely renovated the downstairs and in a couple of weeks we were going to start re-doing the apartment upstairs, said Whelan. "I'd always wanted to own a bar and restaurant."
Wheland added, "We definitely plan on re-opening. We've got a very good business. I hate to say it this way, but O'Shea's is the talk of the town."
Henning said fire damage is mostly upstairs in the apartment, but there is damage to the first floor ceiling as well, mainly smoke and water damage.
No nearby buildings were affected.
Crews are still on the scene checking for hot spots in the building.