Friday, Oct 31, 2014
Quincy, IL News - QuincyJournal.com
Trending on the Journal

Recent Comments

WarCry - Baldwin School evacuated following smoke in building - Quincy, IL News - QuincyJournal.com
Aside from completely missing that Bob was joking, you're making the same fallacious argument I've already seen. Yes, a home may be older than the schools. But a 120 year old home MIGHT have a few hundred people go through it over the course of that lifespan. They also have owners that don't have to go to their neighbors and say "please, sir, may I have some more" in order to effect…
1950Brutus - Votes for Republicans switched to Democrats in Moline - Quincy, IL News - QuincyJournal.com
Why haven't we heard complaints from Democratic voters about votes being switched to Republicans. Because "There is nothing wrong in this office," Kinney, a Democrat, said afterward. Calibration errors are the new "hanging chads".
QuincyJournal - Baldwin School evacuated following smoke in building - Quincy, IL News - QuincyJournal.com
From Joel Murphy, QPS Business Manager: The issue this morning was a simple overheating of some electrical components with in a heating unit. The components overheated, then melted causing smoke from the unit. Things were exasperated by the fact that the heater's blower was still operating and pushed the smoke out into the hallways. The staff and students did exactly what they have prepared…
1950Brutus - Amazon to open facility in Illinois, hire 1,000 - Quincy, IL News - QuincyJournal.com
The point still stands that you do not know if he paid the tax and just doesn't know it.
ONCEMORE1 - Baldwin School evacuated following smoke in building - Quincy, IL News - QuincyJournal.com
Smokin' in the Boy's Room?

Most Popular

Adams Co. Divorces for 10/24

Motorcyclist dies from Saturday crash

Mid-America Port Authority pledged $1.3 million from Illinois Video

Man arrested for performing lewd acts near school

Quinn, Durbin to drop in Monday for Port Authority announcement

GREDF supports Quincy School Building Referendum Video

Everyone safe following plane crash near Quincy Regional Airport

Amazon to open facility in Illinois, hire 1,000

Loose terminal in electric outlet listed as cause of Sprout's Inn fire

2 years, 4 months ago by Bob Gough

Repetitive use of the outlet led to the loose connection

UPDATE: The Quincy Fire Department has issued a news release regarding cause of Thursday's Sprout's Inn fire.

"QFD investigators and an investigator representing the owner's insurance company have determined that repetitive use of an electrical outlet over an extended period of time caused a loose terminal connection on the outlet, resulting in overheating."

 

Sprout's Inn, a popular Quincy restaurant on the city's north side, has been destroyed by fire.

The four alarm fire call came in just before 1 a.m.

Denise Donley was on the scene for Quincy Journal and WTAD.

Quincy Fire Chief Joe Henning said the building will be a total loss.

Heavy black smoke was coming out of the restaurant's attic when crews arrived. Firefighters entered the building, but then left as it became apparent the structure could not be saved.

When crews began to open up the wall where it is believed the fire started, they saw the fire had spread and black smoke had filled the building.

As crews tried to get through the roof, they encountered multiple layers of roof from past remodeling, which made it difficult to get water on the fire.

Henning said the fire got worse really quick, so firefighters evacuated and went purely defensive, using aerial vehicles to fight the fire.

Henning said response was delayed a bit as crews were already on the scene of another fire in the 1600 block of Sycamore when the call came in.

Henning adds there is no idea of a cause of the fire at this time. He also said the investigation will be difficult with this magnitude of loss.

Jenny Wiemelt's family has owned Sprout's Inn for many years and says they will rebuild, hopefully in the same spot. 

Wiemelt adds she wishes she could have grabbed her reservation book because she cares so much about her customer's upcoming parties and celebrations.

Clean up crews were in the building at the time of the call, but no one was injured.

Sprout's Inn has been in business since 1940 and has 72 employees.



From the Newsroom

Bob Gough on Twitter

Bob Gough 33 minutes ago

RT @Phil LeBeau: Exposure like this has pushed value of #ChevyGuy to $3.84 Million. RT @KeithOlbermann: At 5:.. Chevy cashes in on "technology and stuff."
Bob Gough on Twitter

Bob Gough 6 hours, 2 minutes ago

RT @ILWDRadio: Pro-tip. When your boss is under fed investigation, don't ask "Is it a crime?" @ILWDRadio http://t.co/YlSa3Jzf52 #twill
Bob Gough on Twitter

Bob Gough 6 hours, 11 minutes ago

RT @Jason McIntyre: Video! What does Michael Jordan think of President @BarackObama's golf game? "Hack. Shitty golfer." http://t.co/0u3I8UETBf
Bob Gough on Twitter

Bob Gough 6 hours, 18 minutes ago

@JPosnanski @WhitlockJason You don't know that at all.