8 months, 3 weeks ago by 0
Quincy Area Chamber of Commerce inducts honorees
Two distinguished community leaders were honored at the Quincy Area Chamber of Commerce’s Annual Meeting and Business Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony on Wednesday at the Oakley Lindsay Center. Sponsors for the event were Adams Telephone Co-Operative, Adams Electric Cooperative, Advance Physical Therapy and Sports Medicine, Blessing Health System, County Market, KHQA-TV, Peoples Prosperity Bank, and Schmiedeskamp, Robertson, Neu and Mitchell Attorneys.
The Class of 2014 included the late Edward J. Schneidman, Mayor of Quincy from 1941-1946, and the late attorney Charles A. Scholz, partner in the law firm of Scholz, Loos, Palmer, Siebers and Duesterhaus.
Edward J. Schneidman
The most aggressive and constructive mayor of Quincy’s history through 1946, the late Edward J. Schneidman compiled a remarkable record of achievements for Quincy, giving the city a position of leadership among Illinois municipalities.
Schneidman was elected alderman from the Second Ward in 1932 before being elected mayor in April 1941; he was 35 when he took office. His leadership was available to all civic and patriotic endeavors during the hectic war years, and until his brothers returned from military service, Schneidman managed both the city and the family business, Schneidman Distributing Company.
He organized a local defense council that won praise from state and federal officials, and he took the initiative in securing Quincy’s only war plant. He is credited for being the impetus for a joint city and county building, and he removed the toll from the Mississippi River Bridge to encourage regional shopping.
Schneidman led in the campaign that saw Quincyans vote a $200,000 bond issue for a new municipal airport, then known as Baldwin Field, and he won Civil Aeronautics Authority approval and aid for this nearly $2 million project. He secured a coalition to develop Q-Stadium for baseball, and he modernized city government policies and procedures.
Schneidman was re-elected in 1945, but lost his life on June 5, 1946, in the LaSalle Hotel Fire in Chicago, where he was traveling on official city business.
The 106-acre Schneidman Industrial Park on North 24th Street was named in his honor in 1980.
Charles A. Scholz
For more than 60 years, the late Charles A. “Charlie” Scholz served as an advisor that helped business owners achieve their goals.
He was admitted to practice in 1950, and became associated with his father, Richard F. Scholz, in the private practice of law. Scholz’s areas of specialty included formation of corporations, mergers and acquisitions, corporate planning, bond issues, probate law and estate planning. Scholz retired from the active practice of law in 2010, but his legacy continues to this day through the firm of Scholz, Loos, Palmer, Siebers & Duesterhaus LLP and the law firm of Scholz and Scholz LLP.
Scholz was a member of the American Bar Association, Illinois State Bar Association, and Adams County Bar Association, which he served as president from 1966-1967. He was admitted to practice before the United States Supreme Court in 1975. He was a member and chairman of the Illinois State Bar Association Committee on Legal Education and Admission to the Bar, and he served as a mentor in the ISBA Mentor Center. He was a member of the American Judicature Society, American Academy of Hospital Attorneys, Commercial Law League of America, and Academy of Political Science.
Scholz was also a civic leader and philanthropist. He was a life director and founding member of Quincy Notre Dame Foundation, and he served on the Board of Directors for St. Mary Hospital and the Board of Governors of the Franciscan Sisters of the Poor Foundation, the parent company of St. Mary Hospital. He was a member of the Mart Heinen Club of Quincy University and a Fourth Degree Member of the Knights of Columbus.
Scholz served on the Board of Directors of the Quincy Public Library for nearly 25 years. His leadership was keenest when the library had outgrown its location at Fourth and Maine. Scholz spearheaded a six-year planning process for a new facility at Sixth and Jersey and organized a fundraising campaign that raised more than $1 million.
Scholz served on the Board of Directors for The Community Foundation, Land of Lincoln Legal Services Foundation, and he was a mentor for Scholars for Quincy. He received the Blessed Frances Schervier Award from the Franciscan Sisters of the Poor Hospital System in 1985, the Distinguished Citizen Award from the Mississippi Valley Council of the Boy Scouts of America in 2007, and the Friend of Catholic Education Award from the Quincy Catholic Elementary Schools Foundation in 2009.
Scholz died in 2011.
The Business Hall of Fame was started in 2006 to celebrate the rich history and accomplishments of the Quincy area business community. The event is open to the public. Cost is $20 per person and includes lunch. Reservations are required by Jan. 13 and can be made by calling 222-7980.