Wednesday, Apr 16, 2014
Quincy, IL News - QuincyJournal.com
Trending on the Journal

Related Headlines

QHS basketball coach search just beginning

QHS vs. Jeff. City Helias Soccer

QND defeats QHS in girls soccer

VIDEO: Interviews with Sean Taylor and School Board President Stephanie Erwin

JWCC advances to NJCAA Div. II National Tournament Updated

Recent Comments

UrKidsWillPay - City department heads justify budgets to aldermen - Quincy, IL News - QuincyJournal.com
There ya go!
Righty1 - City department heads justify budgets to aldermen - Quincy, IL News - QuincyJournal.com
How about "City department heads review their proposed budgets with aldermen who never have to justify their own budgets."
UrKidsWillPay - Voter rights, crime victim rights amendments set for fall ballot so far - Quincy, IL News - QuincyJo
The common sense solution would be to require finger prints on ballots which would be scanned and compared to all other finger prints affixed to other ballots. Any duplicate prints would invalidate both votes and subject the person to investigation/prosecution for vote fraud. Until votes are validated there would only be provisional winners.
City Department Heads Present Budgets to Alderman.
ReardenShrugged - Petroleum Marketers, C-Stores, fight proposed Illinois gas tax hikes - Quincy, IL News - QuincyJourn
All business ownership is public record. Just search the Secretary of State business listings.

Most Popular

Park Board to put new Wavering Aquatic Center question on the ballot

Man arrested following south side stabbing

Adams Co. Jail to take in federal prisoners

Klingner wins Bonansinga Award

Petroleum Marketers, C-Stores, fight proposed Illinois gas tax hikes Updated Video

Preppers get ready for budget reality by begging for more

Home Builders, Illinois House look to weaken Fire Marshal authority

Poll shows Illinois voters overwhelmingly favor term limits

Quincy City Council votes to continue offering garbage pick-up

1 month, 2 weeks ago by Bob Gough

Residents can keep buying stickers or they can switch to totes

The Quincy City Council passed an ordinance Monday night that increases the cost of garbage stickers to 75 cents from 50 cents, but also offers people the option to purchase a tote for $12.99 a month. 

The amendment, put forth last week by Alderwoman Jennifer Lepper (R-5th Ward) gives people the option to not have to use trash stickers by purchasing the totes and then having City crews pick them up.

Mayor Kyle Moore said the 95 gallon totes would initially be purchased for about $65 each and then the monthly fee would be charged. 

The sticker increase would go into effect May 1. The sign up period for totes will start soon with the implementation start date depending on the purchase of the new trucks needed to accommodate them. 

Recycling would remain as is. 

Lepper's intial amendment called for a $1 sticker price, but she agreed to drop it to 75 cents, which garnered the support of Alderman Mike Farha (R-4th Ward) who didn't want to double the cost of stickers and offered his own 75 cent amendment. He dropped his amendment when Lepper dropped her fee to match his proposal. 

The proposal has the city purchasing 2 non-automated trucks for recycling and 2 automated trucks for garbage collection. The city will offer a sign-up period twice a year where residents will sign-up for the service.

Click to see the budgetary projections The proposal sets money aside for vehicle replacement, with no escalator.

The City must still resolve how to handle the private haulers. Moore said franchise fees and the dropping of the unenforced ordinance that bans them will come up at a later date. 

Alderman Paul Havermale's proposal for the City to get out of the trash business had little support. Havermale said this proposal does nothing to solve the worker's compensation issues or staffing levels, which he said is where the real budget savings lie. 

Alderman agreed to a five-year contract with Quincy Recycle to continue handling recycling, but the yard waste pickup contract for Evans Recycling was rejected. Moore said the aldermen will have resolution from the other proposed yard waste handler, Jerry Brockhouse of Jacksonville. 

From the Newsroom

QuincyJournal on Twitter

QuincyJournal 2 hours, 18 minutes ago

QU offering two new Masters programs for education - This program will be offered in a blended format both online ... http://t.co/ItZUaJWE7c
Bob Gough on Twitter

Bob Gough 3 hours, 4 minutes ago

@mthopf @DOB23 This came up at last month's curriculum meeting. I thought it was a joke...School Board will kill this. #maybe
QuincyJournal on Twitter

QuincyJournal 3 hours, 19 minutes ago

Culver-Stockton students recognized at state competition for student newspaper http://t.co/f2rgSVdQ81
QuincyJournal on Twitter

QuincyJournal 13 hours, 23 minutes ago

City department heads justify budgets to aldermen - City Council listens in budget hearings; Spending plan must be... http://t.co/5d6SzyBjEm