Wednesday, Apr 16, 2014
Quincy, IL News - QuincyJournal.com
Trending on the Journal

Related Headlines

Mellon says outspoken views led to primary loss

Congressional candidate opposes proposed defense cuts

Mellon unveils jobs plan Updated

Mellon blasts Schock for debt ceiling vote

Recent Comments

UrKidsWillPay - City department heads justify budgets to aldermen - Quincy, IL News - QuincyJournal.com
There ya go!
Righty1 - City department heads justify budgets to aldermen - Quincy, IL News - QuincyJournal.com
How about "City department heads review their proposed budgets with aldermen who never have to justify their own budgets."
UrKidsWillPay - Voter rights, crime victim rights amendments set for fall ballot so far - Quincy, IL News - QuincyJo
The common sense solution would be to require finger prints on ballots which would be scanned and compared to all other finger prints affixed to other ballots. Any duplicate prints would invalidate both votes and subject the person to investigation/prosecution for vote fraud. Until votes are validated there would only be provisional winners.
City Department Heads Present Budgets to Alderman.
ReardenShrugged - Petroleum Marketers, C-Stores, fight proposed Illinois gas tax hikes - Quincy, IL News - QuincyJourn
All business ownership is public record. Just search the Secretary of State business listings.

Most Popular

Park Board to put new Wavering Aquatic Center question on the ballot

Man arrested following south side stabbing

Adams Co. Jail to take in federal prisoners

Klingner wins Bonansinga Award

Petroleum Marketers, C-Stores, fight proposed Illinois gas tax hikes Updated Video

Preppers get ready for budget reality by begging for more

Home Builders, Illinois House look to weaken Fire Marshal authority

Poll shows Illinois voters overwhelmingly favor term limits

Mellon says current political system isn't working

2 months, 3 weeks ago by Denise Donley

Quincy Congressional candidate says congress spends too much time raising money to get re-elected

A Quincy man wants to have a voice in the U.S. Congress.

Rob Mellon, a 42-year-old Army veteran and history teacher at Quincy High School, plans to run for Congress in the 18th District. The incumbent is Republican Aaron Schock of Peoria.

Mellon, a Democrat, was born and raised in Quincy. After his Army service, he and his family came home. Mellon said he’s always felt like the Quincy area is ignored.

“I just don’t think that the political system or the economic system is working for the average Quincyan,” he said.

Mellon urged residents to take a look at how Congress functions today. 

“In Congressman Schock’s case, he spends 75% of his day raising money. He makes four or five plane trips, calling it constituent services, but in reality what he is doing is raising money,” said Mellon. “It’s not just one party that is guilty in this, but in Schock’s case, he’s probably one of the worst. He’s been brought up on ethics violations for how he’s used campaign money.” 

Mellon said he will not function like Congressman Schock, especially in regards to raising campaign money. 

“I understand that there is need for fundraising, but that should pretty much end at the end of the campaign. You shouldn’t continue the campaign throughout your time in office. That time should be spent on constituents and not who has the checkbook,” said Mellon. “I can change the way the system works because it’s part of my personal conduct. Now in terms of the greater problems, those are bigger issues that we all have to work together to accomplish.” 

While looking at the gerrymandered districts throughout the U.S., Mellon noted out of the 435 Congress seats, 30-35 are actually contested. 

“That means 400 of the seats have been drawn to a specific advantage. In Illinois, it’s drawn in the Democrats advantage. No matter who does it, it’s absolutely wrong. A lot of Democrats do not agree with me and I’m not concerned with that either. If it’s wrong, it’s wrong. I fully support Illinois changing the law to end that system to make it fair so our citizens are not disenfranchised. It needs to change.” 

Mellon will go up against Darrel Miller of Danvers, Illinois in the March 18 primary. 

He was a guest on Monday's Mary Griffith Show on WTAD.

From the Newsroom

QuincyJournal on Twitter

QuincyJournal 2 hours, 18 minutes ago

QU offering two new Masters programs for education - This program will be offered in a blended format both online ... http://t.co/ItZUaJWE7c
Bob Gough on Twitter

Bob Gough 3 hours, 4 minutes ago

@mthopf @DOB23 This came up at last month's curriculum meeting. I thought it was a joke...School Board will kill this. #maybe
QuincyJournal on Twitter

QuincyJournal 3 hours, 19 minutes ago

Culver-Stockton students recognized at state competition for student newspaper http://t.co/f2rgSVdQ81
QuincyJournal on Twitter

QuincyJournal 13 hours, 23 minutes ago

City department heads justify budgets to aldermen - City Council listens in budget hearings; Spending plan must be... http://t.co/5d6SzyBjEm