Tuesday, Apr 15, 2014
Quincy, IL News - QuincyJournal.com
Trending on the Journal

Related Headlines

Illinois' next pension issue: Police, fire funds

Illinois Senate president suggesting schools pay their own pensions

Fifth Pension Lawsuit Filed By U of I Employees

More state lawmakers opting out of Illinois' pension system

Part-time Illinois workers receiving lifetime pensions

Recent Comments

UrKidsWillPay - City department heads justify budgets to aldermen - Quincy, IL News - QuincyJournal.com
There ya go!
Righty1 - City department heads justify budgets to aldermen - Quincy, IL News - QuincyJournal.com
How about "City department heads review their proposed budgets with aldermen who never have to justify their own budgets."
UrKidsWillPay - Voter rights, crime victim rights amendments set for fall ballot so far - Quincy, IL News - QuincyJo
The common sense solution would be to require finger prints on ballots which would be scanned and compared to all other finger prints affixed to other ballots. Any duplicate prints would invalidate both votes and subject the person to investigation/prosecution for vote fraud. Until votes are validated there would only be provisional winners.
City Department Heads Present Budgets to Alderman.
ReardenShrugged - Petroleum Marketers, C-Stores, fight proposed Illinois gas tax hikes - Quincy, IL News - QuincyJourn
All business ownership is public record. Just search the Secretary of State business listings.

Most Popular

Park Board to put new Wavering Aquatic Center question on the ballot

Man arrested following south side stabbing

Adams Co. Jail to take in federal prisoners

Klingner wins Bonansinga Award

Petroleum Marketers, C-Stores, fight proposed Illinois gas tax hikes Updated Video

Preppers get ready for budget reality by begging for more

Home Builders, Illinois House look to weaken Fire Marshal authority

Poll shows Illinois voters overwhelmingly favor term limits

Legislature passes pension reform

Legislature passes pension reform

4 months, 1 week ago From Chicago Tribune

Gov. Quinn says he'll sign it into law

From From Chicago Tribune:

The Illinois General Assembly today narrowly approved a major overhaul of the state government worker pension system following hours of debate on the controversial plan strongly opposed by employee unions.

The House voted 62-53 to approve a measure that aims to wipe out a worst-in-the-nation $100 billion pension debt by reducing and skipping cost-of-living increases, requiring workers to retire later and creating a 401(k) option for a limited number of employees. The measure needed a minimum of 60 votes to pass the House.

Moments earlier, the Senate voted for the measure 30-24. The bill needed at least 30 votes. The measure now goes to Democratic Gov. Pat Quinn, who has said he'll sign it.

Locally, State Rep. Jil Tracy voted yes. She served on the Pension Conference Committee that crafted the bill.

State Rep. Norinne Hammond and State Sens. John Sullivan and Sam McCann voted no. Tracy's gubernatorial running mate State Sen. Kirk Dillard also voted no.

Sullivan said he believes there is a fairer way to do pension reform, citing a bill that passed the Senate earlier this year that saved $50 billion. He said he believed that bill was constitutional but the current bill is not.

"This proposal has a drastic and negative impact on both current and retired employees, and-I believe-it has serious constitutional issues," Sullivan said. "I understand the enormous need for pension reform, but this isn't it."

He said he believed the issue would be back in front of the Legislature soon.

"Retirees have planned and saved based on promises from the state. It has to be our job to find equitable solutions without breaking those promises," Sullivan said. "I wouldn't be surprised if we are back here in a year or two voting on a new plan after the courts find this one unconstitutional."

Sponsoring Sen. Kwame Raoul urged colleagues to vote in favor. "We cannot continue to be the embarrassment of the nation," said Raoul, D-Chicago. 

Sen. Kyle McCarter, R-Lebanon, questioned the promised savings. "I would be much more inclined to support this bill if this bucket didn't have so many holes in it," he said.

Democratic Sen. Linda Holmes of Aurora dismissed House Speaker Michael Madigan’s assertion earlier in the day that pension benefits are “too rich.”

“I believe this was actually more caused by the fact that we as a state did not make our pension payments as we should have even though the employees worked and their full payments were made,” said Holmes, the only member of the special two-chamber special committee that did not sign the legislation that emerged. “So I think a lot of this problem stems from the fact that we actually didn’t do what we were obligated and should have done.”

Despite the opposition, the Senate approved the bill.

In the House, a vote was expected to soon follow. Madigan presented the measure and found himself in the rare position of answering question after question from numerous rank-and-file lawmakers. The key, the long-serving speaker said, is to fix a retirement system for government workers that is broken.

“Something’s got to be done. Something’s got to be done,” said Madigan, D-Chicago.

Click Here to Read Full Article

From the Newsroom

QuincyJournal on Twitter

QuincyJournal 2 hours, 18 minutes ago

QU offering two new Masters programs for education - This program will be offered in a blended format both online ... http://t.co/ItZUaJWE7c
Bob Gough on Twitter

Bob Gough 3 hours, 4 minutes ago

@mthopf @DOB23 This came up at last month's curriculum meeting. I thought it was a joke...School Board will kill this. #maybe
QuincyJournal on Twitter

QuincyJournal 3 hours, 19 minutes ago

Culver-Stockton students recognized at state competition for student newspaper http://t.co/f2rgSVdQ81
QuincyJournal on Twitter

QuincyJournal 13 hours, 23 minutes ago

City department heads justify budgets to aldermen - City Council listens in budget hearings; Spending plan must be... http://t.co/5d6SzyBjEm