Wednesday, Apr 16, 2014
Quincy, IL News - QuincyJournal.com
Trending on the Journal

Recent Comments

UrKidsWillPay - City department heads justify budgets to aldermen - Quincy, IL News - QuincyJournal.com
There ya go!
Righty1 - City department heads justify budgets to aldermen - Quincy, IL News - QuincyJournal.com
How about "City department heads review their proposed budgets with aldermen who never have to justify their own budgets."
UrKidsWillPay - Voter rights, crime victim rights amendments set for fall ballot so far - Quincy, IL News - QuincyJo
The common sense solution would be to require finger prints on ballots which would be scanned and compared to all other finger prints affixed to other ballots. Any duplicate prints would invalidate both votes and subject the person to investigation/prosecution for vote fraud. Until votes are validated there would only be provisional winners.
City Department Heads Present Budgets to Alderman.
ReardenShrugged - Petroleum Marketers, C-Stores, fight proposed Illinois gas tax hikes - Quincy, IL News - QuincyJourn
All business ownership is public record. Just search the Secretary of State business listings.

Most Popular

Park Board to put new Wavering Aquatic Center question on the ballot

Man arrested following south side stabbing

Adams Co. Jail to take in federal prisoners

Klingner wins Bonansinga Award

Petroleum Marketers, C-Stores, fight proposed Illinois gas tax hikes Updated Video

Preppers get ready for budget reality by begging for more

Home Builders, Illinois House look to weaken Fire Marshal authority

Poll shows Illinois voters overwhelmingly favor term limits

Quincy grandparents center of a phone scam

6 months, 1 week ago Denise Donley

Scammer used grandson to ask for money

A Quincy elderly couple received a call from someone posing as their grandson.  The scammer knew the grandson's first name, the grandson's cell phone number and knew the grandfather's middle name.  He also appeared to be calling from the grandson's cell phone number. 

The scammer stated that the couple’s grandson had been in an accident at an Illinois university, damaged a house and injured himself.  The scammer acting as the grandson asked for the couple to wire approximately $1,000 to Lima, Peru, which is where he said the owner of the damaged University house lived.

When the grandfather tried to call his grandson's cell phone from his landline phone, the scammer answered.  When the grandfather left to wire money, he tried to call the grandson again from his cell phone. The scammer did not answer this time, but neither did the grandson.  When the grandfather tried to call the police officer that the scammer said was handling the accident, the call wouldn’t go through.

The elderly couple arrived at the Western Union in County Market to transfer money. However, the employee told the couple the situation was a scam and refused to wire the money.  The elderly couple then contacted the grandson's father. Previously, the scammer who was posing as their grandson told them not to contact the father. The couple called anyway, and found out their grandson was okay, was attending school and there was no accident. 

Quincy Police say it appears the scammer used an application on a cellphone to call spof the victims and possibly answer some other calls from numbers.  However, it did not work when the victims called the same numbers using a different phone line.

From the Newsroom

QuincyJournal on Twitter

QuincyJournal 2 hours, 18 minutes ago

QU offering two new Masters programs for education - This program will be offered in a blended format both online ... http://t.co/ItZUaJWE7c
Bob Gough on Twitter

Bob Gough 3 hours, 4 minutes ago

@mthopf @DOB23 This came up at last month's curriculum meeting. I thought it was a joke...School Board will kill this. #maybe
QuincyJournal on Twitter

QuincyJournal 3 hours, 19 minutes ago

Culver-Stockton students recognized at state competition for student newspaper http://t.co/f2rgSVdQ81
QuincyJournal on Twitter

QuincyJournal 13 hours, 23 minutes ago

City department heads justify budgets to aldermen - City Council listens in budget hearings; Spending plan must be... http://t.co/5d6SzyBjEm