3 months ago by Bob Gough
Demolition expected to cost City $500,000
Interview with Mayor Kyle Moore shot at 9:45 a.m. Monday.
Quincy Mayor Kyle Moore said there is no insurance on the Newcomb Hotel.
Moore said Monday on WTAD's Morning Meeting that city officials have been in contact with building owner Victor Horowitz who said he had no insurance on the building.
Moore said the city will intially have to pay for the demoltion costs of the building that was leveled by fire last Friday night. Moore said the demoltion costs are estimated at about $500,000.
"We're going to look at all legal options," Moore said regarding further action against Horowtiz.
Moore said the original $500,000 that was loaned to Horowitz came from a grant fund that had been established for economic development during the administration of former Mayor C. David Nuessen.
"While this is a sad time, it is also an opportunity for the community to come together with a new vision of what we should do with the property," Moore said.
City Director of Planning and Development Chuck Bevelheimer was on WTAD with Mary Griffith and Steve Boll Monday morning and said there were some snags in the initial demolition process and the 4th and Maine area will remain closed at least through Tuesday morning.
“We were uncomfortable leaving the building standing because it’s a 5 story building on the corner. It’s on the edge," Bevelheimer said. "We wouldn’t be able to open up 4th St or Maine St. As well as we all know right now, things are bottlenecked because of that. It’s the key entry way and roadway for the city. So if we don’t act, who will?”
Bevelheimer says the city code allows the demolition because of the unsafe condition of the Newcomb.